Eligible student visa holders are now able to work for 80 hours a fortnight with the recent temporary relaxation of visa rules. The Omicron, a variant of Covid-19 has become the reason for the shortage of labor in several sectors in Australia. Earlier the student visa holders were eligible for 40 hours a fortnight in the sectors affected by the pandemic but with the national cabinet meeting, the decision is changed and lifted the hours to 80 hours a fortnight.
Traditionally, international students have the 20 hours a week limit for working when school is in session. The effect of the Omicron variant of Covid-19, no sector is left untouched and businesses are trying hard to fill vacant positions by hiring almost 400,000 workers for the vacant positions even before the omicron left with labor shortages. Every day, an estimated 100,000 new COVID-19 cases arrive. As the virus wave is at its peak and so it would certainly affect the workforce and supply chains so, the idea behind the change is to get many people safe who work in the critical sectors and at the same time makes Australia move.
This temporary relaxation of student visa work limits across areas of the economy due to a workforce shortage. This change will come to effect immediately for all ongoing students and also for the new students arriving in Australia who wish to work along with studying. This directly indicates that the students are now allowed to work before the course commences and they also have a chance to work fortnight up to 80 hours in any sector of the economy.
Though this is a temporary arrangement done due to the COVID -19 variant, Omicron affecting Australia some of the Secondary applicants are also included in this provision. This agreement will be reviewed by the Australian Government in April 2022. Any student visa holder who visits Australia between January 19 and March 19, 2022, can request a refund of their visa application fee.
Important Information To be Known By Students
A student must balance the study and fulfill the work commitments at the same time even the working hours are flexible. Along with that, a student has to
- Keep enrolled in their course
- Make sure the course is progressing safely
- Make sure to attend the course with regular attendance
Note – If a student cancels the enrolment does not attend the classes or is unable to meet any of the course progresses, then this will be taken as a breach of the visa conditions. After receiving the offer letter to work in the critical sectors or if you are already working for that then after the completion of your course, you will become eligible for a COVID-19 pandemic subclass 408 visa. You can also apply for the visa 90 days before the visa is expiring.
Important Information To be Known By Employers
- Not refer the student visa holders for investigation of potential offenses under s235 of migration act 1958. This will indicate the working hours for student visa holder and looks into the matter to ensure there is no matter of breach of the visa conditions.
- Trains their judgment under s116(1)(b) of the Migration Act 1958. This will indicate that the student’s visas will not be canceled if they work for more than 40 hours each fortnight for support of their. Not refer you or any third-party labor hire companies, being an employer, for investigating any potential offense under s245AC of Migration Act 1958. In case there is any breach in the visa conditions for the visa holder then that can be an exception.
- Not refer you or any third-party labor hire companies, being an employer, for investigating any potential offense under s245AC of Migration Act 1958. In case there is any breach in the visa conditions for the visa holder then that can be an exception.
Conclusion – COVID-19 have hit hard to the Australian economy as with the rise in cases forth new variants Omicron, the demand for the labor is increased and to fulfill that and for supporting the Australian economy, the Government has made temporary arrangements with making changes in working hours for the student visa holders. With these changes, the worker’s shortage can be filled. If you are on a student visa or planning for a student visa then the Education embassy a leading migration agent in Brisbane can help you understand the complexities of the visa process. Our experts will guide you through the application process and make it easy to work, stay, or student in Australia. For more information, you can contact us today!